What Does A Criminal Defense Attorney Do?
Criminal defense lawyers focus on protecting the rights of defendants and helping them build defenses that reduce the negative consequences of being arrested. Within the criminal defense practice, an attorney might choose to sub-specialize on specific types of crimes. For example, some defense lawyers might only handle cases involving drug charges, violent crimes, federal charges, or sex crime charges. By specializing in very specific areas, the attorney usually has the time to build strong knowledge and experience defending against these types of charges.
- Investigative Abilities: A major job duty for a defense attorney is similar to that of an investigator. The defense attorney has to spend time going through evidence pertaining to the charges. This can include calling in outside help to investigate the case, speaking to witnesses, finding expert witnesses, and gathering additional evidence that can improve the chances of a not guilty verdict.
- Guide the Defendant: There are multiple ways that a criminal case can be resolved. A defense attorney has to help a defendant decide how to proceed with their defense. This might include negotiating with the prosecution to determine if there is a suitable plea deal available. If you don’t want a plea deal or if one isn’t possible, your attorney then has to develop a strong defense strategy to best protect your interests.
- Present a Defense: Without a plea deal, the case will likely go to trial. In that case, the defense attorney has to present the defendant’s side of the story before the court and jury. Not all lawyers have the same level of experience at trial. Attorneys have to be familiar with the laws and statutes that apply to the case and be able to make persuasive arguments to the jury advocating for a not guilty verdict. They should also know when to argue for a mistrial.
- Appeal Decisions When Necessary: There are sometimes instances when it’s necessary to appeal a conviction or sentence. Criminal defense lawyers handle this aspect of the criminal justice system. Appeals in criminal cases can be very complex, so in-depth knowledge of the appeals process is helpful in those cases. With the potential consequences a person faces because of a criminal conviction, it is easy to understand why having legal representation is so important. Unlike laypeople, defense attorneys have formal schooling and professional resources available that help them determine suitable defense strategies. Anyone facing criminal charges should contact an attorney who has experience handling similar cases.
Should I Hire A Criminal Defense Lawyer?
Working with a criminal defense lawyer can make a huge difference in the outcome of your case. Whether you are up against drug possession chargers, have been charged with a crime against a family member, or are accused of a crime involving sexual assault, working with an experienced criminal attorney can help you.
Attorney Fuller provides affordable legal services in Harris County. If you are in need of help, we offer free consultations at our law office. Reach out to us today to learn more about how our law firm can help you.
Listed below are examples of times to hire a defense attorney:
- You are facing assault and battery charges
- You are facing drug charges
- You are up against charges of fraud or other financial crime charges
- You are facing alcohol related charges, especially if it is not your first offense
- You are facing theft charges
- You have been charged with homicide
If you have been charged with any of these crimes, it is in your best interest to seek legal counsel. Our experienced attorneys can help you navigate your case and get the results you are looking for. We understand how difficult it can be to face these charges alone, let our team help you.
Best Criminal Defense Lawyer in Houston TX
Attorney Fuller is a seasoned attorney with nearly three decades of experience representing a wide range of clients. This includes individuals who have suffered an injury due to another’s actions, individuals facing criminal charges, those who have been arrested for DWI, individuals who have found themselves in a civil litigation dispute, and those looking for legal guidance in business.
After filling out a client intake form, Attorney Lanease D. Fuller will take appropriate action in your case to help you get the results you are looking for. This includes but not limited to gathering evidence, going to trial, and earning a settlement that is appropriate for your specific situation. Reach out to us today to take the first step towards settling your case.
LANEASE D. FULLER
4615 S. Frwy St. 820
Houston, TX 77051