Criminal defense lawyers specialize in protecting the rights of defendants and assisting them in constructing defenses to mitigate the negative consequences of their arrests. Within the field of criminal defense, attorneys may choose to specialize further in specific types of crimes. For instance, some defense lawyers focus exclusively on cases involving drug charges, violent crimes, federal offenses, or sex crimes. By concentrating on these specific areas, attorneys can develop extensive knowledge and expertise in defending against these particular charges.
- Investigative Skills: One of the primary responsibilities of a defense attorney is to conduct investigations similar to those of a detective. They spend time examining the evidence related to the charges, which may involve seeking external assistance, interviewing witnesses, locating expert witnesses, and gathering additional evidence to strengthen the chances of obtaining a not guilty verdict.
- Guidance for the Defendant: Criminal cases can be resolved through various means, and it is the defense attorney’s duty to help the defendant decide on the best course of action for their defense. This may include negotiating with the prosecution to explore potential plea deals. If a plea deal is not desirable or possible, the attorney must develop a robust defense strategy to safeguard the defendant’s interests.
- Presenting the Defense: In the absence of a plea deal, the case will likely proceed to trial. At this stage, the defense attorney presents the defendant’s side of the story to the court and jury. Not all lawyers possess the same level of trial experience, so attorneys must be well-versed in the relevant laws and statutes and able to deliver persuasive arguments advocating for a not guilty verdict. They should also know when to request a mistrial.
- Appealing Decisions When Necessary: In certain situations, it may be necessary to appeal a conviction or sentence, and criminal defense lawyers handle this aspect of the legal process. Appeals in criminal cases can be highly intricate, so a deep understanding of the appeals process is crucial. Given the potential consequences individuals face due to a criminal conviction, the importance of having legal representation becomes evident. Unlike laypeople, defense attorneys have received formal education and have access to professional resources that help them determine appropriate defense strategies. Anyone facing criminal charges should contact an attorney experienced in handling similar cases.
Should I Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
Working with a criminal defense lawyer can significantly impact the outcome of your case. Whether you are facing drug possession charges, accusations of a crime against a family member, or charges involving sexual assault, enlisting the services of an experienced criminal attorney can be instrumental.
Attorney Fuller offers affordable legal services in Harris County. If you require assistance, we provide free consultations at our law office. Contact us today to learn more about how our firm can assist you.
Outlined below are instances when it is advisable to hire a defense attorney:
- Facing assault and battery charges
- Accused of drug offenses
- Confronting charges of fraud or other financial crimes
- Dealing with alcohol-related charges, particularly if it is not your first offense
- Accused of theft
- Charged with homicide
If you are facing any of these charges, it is in your best interest to seek legal counsel. Our experienced team can guide you through your case and strive for the desired outcome. We understand the challenges of facing these charges alone, so let our team assist you.
Talking to an attorney is an essential step if you have been arrested. Most will provide free consultations so that you can find out the details and implications of your case before making a decision. It is always best to make sure you have researched all your options and know what your legal rights are in order to protect yourself. An attorney will help you understand all your legal options, as well as provide you with insights on what your best step is. They have your best interest at heart and will protect you.
These are the reasons why you absolutely need to hire a criminal defense attorney for your case. Contact our office today to schedule an appointment to review your criminal case. Our legal team will work with you to determine what the best course of action moving forward is. The sooner you contact us the better it will be for creating a defense in your criminal justice case.
Best Criminal Defense Lawyer in Houston TX
Attorney Fuller is a seasoned attorney with nearly three decades of experience representing a wide range of clients. This includes individuals who have suffered an injury due to another’s actions, individuals facing criminal charges, those who have been arrested for DWI, individuals who have found themselves in a civil litigation dispute, and those looking for legal guidance in business.
After filling out a client intake form, Attorney Lanease D. Fuller will take appropriate action in your case to help you get the results you are looking for. This includes but not limited to gathering evidence, going to trial, and earning a settlement that is appropriate for your specific situation. Reach out to us today to take the first step towards settling your case.
LANEASE D. FULLER LAW
4615 S. Frwy St. 820
Houston, TX 77051
View our Google Listing